This is a pretty crazy time to be alive, but I'm really happy to be getting to work with you all during it and want you to know that me and all of Van Tech are here for your families. Please don't be shy to reach out.
There's been a lot of information shared from our awesome school leadership team lately and I wanted to pass along some of the key things for Grade 8 students and families:
1. If you have any COVID symptoms, stay home and follow all public health orders & recommendations. This one should be a no brainer by this far into the pandemic :) I've attached the public health daily check at the bottom here.
2. Schools across the province will be open provided there are enough staff to run the school safely. There aren't set numbers or cutoffs that we are aware of that cause a "Functional Closure", but it's currently determined school by school and notice can be quite short, unfortunately. In such a case, the school would go to online/remote learning for the duration of days we can't be open in person.
3. Students and staff must wear three ply masks. Cloth masks will not suffice. See the office if you need one. The black ones with the little Canadian symbol given out in September do count.
3. There will not be any FIT for the next two weeks. We'll bring back Student Choice fit for the last week of the semester.
4. Students who are away because of COVID or isolating will be given opportunities to make up missed work. Ms Kauldher (our Grade 8 VP) and myself will work with teachers and students to make sure opportunities are available, even after Jan 31st (semester changeover day), if needed.
5. Athletics and clubs can continue but no spectators and clubs are encouraged to meet online (although not mandatory).
Have questions? Email or reach out.
Thinking of you all, Nick Van.