Here are my top 3 reminders/suggestions/things to consider:
- There are three types of courses:
- Completion (July 3 - August 7). Full version of the course and gives graduation credit. 4 hours a day.
- Preview (July 8 - August 2). Goes over key parts of a course for the upcoming school year. 2 hours a day.
- Remedial (July 8 - August 2). Helps students who received 40-50% in a course get a passing mark. 2 hours a day.
- Even though all of the courses aren't available until April 29th, you can still see and plan for all of it now on the website.
- Completion courses (especially Math and Science) fill exceptionally fast. Physics 11 "sold out" of six blocks across the district in the first hour last year.
Here are some other really helpful things to know:
- There is no cost to summer school, but there is usually a $100 textbook deposit. Please contact your grade counsellor (likely me, if you're reading this) if you need financial support with that. It's a confidential process.
- If you change your mind about taking a class, Summer School usually charges $30.
- Don't wait too long to sign up for any type of class, as they normally close ones that aren't filling by early June.
- ELL students should not sign up for completion courses in English or Social Studies, unless they have already completed transitional level ELL this year. ELL students going in to Transitional would do really well to take a Preview English course. ELL students below that level should consider taking the ELL summer school. You want to keep those levels up over the summer!